Saturday, August 15, 2026

Snow Peak Amenity Dome Medium

Two openings in the vestibule
Now that I am retired, I will finally be able to join the RICKA Adirondacks trip. I’ll be canoe-camping for 3 nights with Aaron on the Oswegatchie River, and then join Bill and the RICKA crew for day-trips based out of Eaton Lake State Park.

I dug out the old Eureka Mountain Pass 3XTE that I usually use for base-camping and found that the plastic windows in the fly had degraded and cracked. It's noting that can't be fixed with duck tape, but it wasn’t quite as big as I wanted, so I decided to look for a new base-camping tent.

View from the front
I wanted a tent with plenty of interior room for a cot or large air mattress and a large vestibule to get out of the rain. I ended up with the Snow Peak Amenity Dome Medium. Since it was a discontinued model the price was right.

The Snow Peak Amenity Dome Medium is a 3-season, 4-person, Japanese-style tent that trades some interior standing room for durability in challenging weather. Spec’s are:
  • Fly including Vestibule: 16.6' x 9.2’
  • Sleeping Tent: 8.8’ x 8.8’
  • Peak Height: 4.9’
Front flap set up as an awning
The packed size is 29" x 9.8" x 8.7" in its carrying case with a total weight of 19.6 lbs. It’s a big tent that takes up a lot of room in the canoe and the campsite.

While most car-camping tents prioritize stand-up ceiling height, this Japanese-style tent is intentionally built low to the ground to survive severe wind and heavy rain. The tent is divided into two distinct zones – sleeping area and front vestibule or “porch”. The front vestibule extends the length of the fly by 7.8 ft and can be used as an outdoor kitchen, lounge, gear garage, or a dry entryway during downpours.

All closed up
The front vestibule can be opened from a large front flap or zippered side panel. This allows you to close off the side facing the wind or rain while keeping the other side open for ventilation. The front flap can also be set up with poles to become an awning.

I still need to get an 8’ x 8’ ground cloth for the tent, and I want to get a cot and small folding table to put inside, but I think it is going to work out fine.

Plenty of room inside with a twin-size air mattress
Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.