Thursday, August 20, 2026

Blackfish Creek - August 20, 2026

View to Great Island
Conditions were perfect this morning to get out and paddle – light winds and tide just going out. It was my second time paddling this vacation (the first was Wellfleet Harbor and Great Island), and I decided to head south from the cottage to Blackfish Creek.


The Blackfish Creek is named for pilot whales, known locally as "blackfish". Even before Wellfleet sent whaling ships into the North Atlantic, local residents were “shore whaling”. Blackfish Creek was one of the places that whale carcasses were brought ashore for “trying” – the process of stripping and boiling the blubber.

Lieutenant Island Bridge
I launched from the
Barton Baker Beach Access (Michelle got some pictures) and headed south along Indian Neck Beach. The views over to Great Island were amazing.

There are three coves off Blackfish Creek – Paine Hollow, Drummer Cove and Loagy Bay. I got confused and rather than paddling down Blackfish Creek to Drummer Cove as I intended, I paddled down Loagy Bay. Along the western shore is Lieutenant Island and the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife SanctuaryI made it down as far as the Lieutenant Island Bridge before paddling back.

Back at the cottage
Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.