Friday, July 17, 2026

Port of Galilee – July 16, 2026

Fishing boat returning to the harbor
I didn’t paddle in the morning, but I was able to get out in the afternoon for a trip down to Galilee. The wind was blowing from the south and the tide was going out creating choppy waves and a strong current going through the Breachway.

The Port of Galilee was created in 1935 when a harbor was dredged and a dock constructed at the mouth of Point Judith Pond. Connected to the ocean by the Breakaway and the Harbor of Refuge, both completed in 1910, Galilee eventually became the home port for much of Rhode Island's fishing industry. I paddled past the fishing trawlers, lobster boats and charter before heading back to the cottage.

Back at the cottage
Links:
My Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.